The Panzerjunker – Redux

Dogma48 is almost upon us, and I would like to show off my project from the 2016 workshop!
Now, the Panzerjunker U-Bot from Mauser Earth was my project for Dogma48 in February of 2016. I chose it because, the model is fun, and it had a lot of potential to work with some weathering techniques that I wanted to try out. The base would be a challenge, because I am not very good at composition, and I didn’t have any great ideas for basing a miniature with such a strange silhouette.

The model is slightly reposed from the original, to make it more floaty, and I grinded off some parts that didn’t look right to me.The tentacles and engine were painted with a base coat of a reddish brown, and then given some coats of dark metallic paint. Shadows were glazed in with a dark blue, and highlights with a bright silver. I tried to make the highlights follow the way the metal would have been machined, to add some texture. This worked out best on the gasmasky-thing on the front.

All the rust is made with pigment powders, diluted with isopropyl alcohol to make it flow. The engine parts were given a lot of oil and fuel stains, and then some more rust in appropriate places, for instance on the top of the exhausts.

For the helmet, I used a weathering technique that I had seen in a tutorial somewhere. After priming, I gave the entire helmet a layer of enamel varnish, and then dabbed rust-coloured pigment powders into that. This binds the pigment powder, for a later step. When this had dried, I airbrushed it all with chipping medium, and then some actual colours: Some sort of military green, highlighted with turquoise and shaded with burgundy.I activated sections of the chipping medium at a time, and chipped through the green to the underlying rust. When that layer was dry, the pigment bound in the enamel varnish could be, carefully, dissolved by using an   enamel thinner. If done correctly, this will also slightly dissolve the acrylic paint too, which makes the rust look like it is bleeding out of the overlying layers of paint. It is a scary process, because you only get one shot at it, otherwise you have to strip it and start over; that is not something that there is time for at Dogma48!

The base was a challenge for me. I wanted to something that was not too large for the model, but also something that could contain a very tall model that has a tiny footprint.

I made a mock-up in clay, and then built the thing in cork and a Milliput/sand-mix that is very good for both bulking up volumes and creating texture. I introduced a steep hill on the side of the base to give it some height. I added a bunch of tufts and straws and some brass-etch scale steel flight deck plates, that I decided to use as some sort of temporary road or some-such. Flowers were added to break the mass of browns and greens.

There are definitely things that I would have done differently had I had more time. The base could have used a lot more love, for instance some detailing that could communicate scale and help fill out the space on the base. I would also have liked to put more contrast into the basing, and into the metals.

All in all, this was a very interesting Dogma48 project for me, and I pushed myself on quite a number of elements. It is a fun model, and a great kit. Other than only having slept around 6 hours over an entire weekend, everything went great!

One thought on “The Panzerjunker – Redux

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *